|Home Made Ghee|
Ghee/ Clarified butter is one of the main Ingredients for Indian cooking, mostly used for light as well as deep frying and it is an inevitable item for most of the Indian sweets...Ghee contains the right combination of essential fats that is recommended by Ayurveda for a healthy living... (source)
There are a lot of health benefits of ghee when compared to butter and it has a higher shelf life without any refrigeration.
Some of the benefits of ghee are here...
- It helps to maintain a balance of the digestive enzymes in the stomach.
- It is an ideal cooking oil as the smoke point of ghee is very high (485F / 252 C).
- As the lactose content of butter is completely removed while making ghee it is suitable for lactose intolerant people.
- It adds that extra flavor that has no substitute.
Now a days I dont search the Indian stores to get ghee as I have started making it at home from butter. It is an easy process once you master the expertise of making it. Here are the steps behind ghee making at home.
- In a heavy bottomed & deep saucepan, melt the butter on a low heat.
- Keep boiling it in medium heat and it starts foaming now.You can stir in between with a wooden spoon to prevent the fats getting solidified on the sides.
- Continue boiling in medium heat for another 10- 15 mins. By then the foaming stops and slowly it becomes clear enough to see through the liquid. Keep an eye so that it doesnt get burnt.
- Switch off the heat now and allow it to cool for 5-10 mins.
- Strain it to a dry and clean container and store air tight.
Note : Dont forget to use a dry and clean spoon while using the ghee for your cooking or as a spread instead of butter.
Enjoy the goodness of home made ghee !!!!