|Drumstick leaves and Moong Daal Curry|
Drumstick leaves [ Muringa ] are one of my favourites among the leafy vegetables...More than the awareness of the Nutritional benefits of these leaves , it was merely the abundance of it in my home state of Kerala that made this leafy veggie my favourite...In Kerala you can find drumstick trees in almost every house and usually when we are running short of vegetables at home , we used to go and pluck some of these leaves and a healthy side dish will be ready in minutes......
I happened to visit this site of Haiti reconstruction and read this interesting article about growing Muringa trees in the new Haiti to prevent future iron deficiency...And below is the nutritional chart [ from the same site] of the drumstick leaves... Just go through it and I am sure it will make you tempted to grab a bunch of them the next time you find them in market...
Luckily I got some drumstick leaves from one of my friends and I prepared this curry for lunch...
Here is the recipe for it...
- Drumstick leaves - 1/2 cup [ I had got only that much...else would have added more].
- Oil - 1/2 Tbsp
- Moong Daal - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Garlic - 2 pods
- Green Chillie - 1 medium size
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chillie powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Dried Red Chillie - 2 Nos
- Curry Leaves - 1 petal
- Cook moong daal in a pressure cooker adding enough water. Smash this and keep aside.
- Dry grind ingredients 5-8 in a mixer and keep aside.
- Heat oil a pan and add the drumstick leaves. Saute them with salt for a few minutes till they become soft. You can see them getting reduced to half in volume.
- Now add the cooked daal and water and bring it to boil.
- Now add the ground coconut mix along with turmeric and red chillie powder and stir for another few minutes.
- Water can be adjusted depeding on the consistency that you prefer.
- Switch off the heat after a couple of minutes and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- For seasoning, heat a small pan and add oil.
- Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow them to sputter.
- Finally add the curry leaves and dried red chillies and saute for a minute. Tranfer this on the top of the prepared curry.
Enjoy this healthy side dish with rice and forget about "Deficiencies".......