Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Poori or Puri / The fried Indian Bread

poori / puri

Ask my family what to prepare on a Sunday morning...., Without any delay they will unanimously vote for "Poori"......Though I think a bit about the frying and the oil and the calorie and stuff like that, will slowly go to their side and will agree as I too cant resist poori especially for an elaborate sunday morning breakfast.....


We have a poori special restaurant in my home town [ quite an old one ] which serve only poori along with potato curry, daal , onion , papad and lemon pickle.....We never miss to gave the place a visit on our vacation trips....So whenever poori is made at home , we remember the taste from that special restaurant ....

Here is the recipe from my kitchen ....

Ingredients
  1. Whole Wheat Flour  / Atta         -   2 cups
  2. Salt                                                 -  1 tsp
  3. Oil for the dough                          -  1 Tbsp
  4. Water                                             -  1 cup [ adjust while kneading ]
  5. Oil                                                   -  enough for frying





Preparation
  1. Mix the flour with salt. Add water little by little and knead to make a soft dough.
  2. Add oil and knead again to make it smooth and soft.
  3. Keep the dough covered at least for 1/2 hr before start making pooris.
  4. Make small balls from the dough and roll them out dusting with more flour using a rolling pin.
  5. You can either roll out the pooris as and when you are ready to make them or roll out all of them beforehand and then fry them one by one. This depends on your expertise with multi tasking. The size of the pooris is also up to you. I make little bigger ones as I want to finish off the job faster.
  6. Now simply heat a wide mouth pan and add oil for frying.
  7. Once it is hot enough [ medium high ] , start frying the pooris in it. Immerse in oil completely with a ladle till they puff up and then turn over to get the other side done.
  8. Drain off any excess oil on a kitchen towel and they are ready to go to the serving plate.
Our Sunday Brekky Menu
Note : I could make about 20 pooris from the recipe

Pooris were served with Potato Curry, Mango Pickle, Papad and Red onion mixed with salt and vinegar........

Tip: You can add a little semolina / sooji to the flour to make it more crispy.






11 comments:

  1. Delicious and tempting..my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome yummy and puffed poori!

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Deepti thanks a lot for your lovely comment....I am your new fan....I do make puris but all of them never get inflated :(...may be its because I dont keep them covered before making!! I dont know ..will try to follow your steps next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a yummy platter ....I wish to grab it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful - I love pooris too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, do visit the ongoing event and honor me by participating :)
    A Girl's Diary
    Event:
    What's On Your Kebab Platter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect and yummy, pass me that platter please..

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pooris are the favorite in my house as well.. My Pooris come out very hard. Can you please advise me on how I can fix that?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Blog....Ur comments n suggestions are most valuable for me...